Jefferson County was created in 1796 from Burke County and Warren County Georgia. Louisville is the county seat and the first permanent capital. It was also the first site where the government buildings were owned by the state. Savannah had served as the capital from Georgia's colonial period. For a short time Augusta was temporarily the capital city, while a new town Louisville, was being built in what was then the frontier. This new town would become the capital by an act of the General Assembly passed 26 January 1786.
Home | Reservations | Photographs | Local History | Special Events | Contact Us | Map
On the 12th of January 1796 was the marked date of the first session of the General Assembly in Louisville. It was begun and held at the town of Louisville in the County of Burke. Jefferson County was created.
Jefferson County was home to many Scotch-Irish in which they founded Queensboro before the Capital era days.
The General Assembly in 1766 had passed an act to encourage settlers to come into the province and granted 1,800 pounds sterling for this purpose. George Galphin and John Rae had advertisements appearing in the newspapers in Ireland during 1766 telling about this wonderful new country and the township which would be established. Galphin would send a ship for the settlers.
Jefferson County is rich in history with many families migrating on to the west and south of it.
The Ogeechee River begins as two small streams between Siloam and Union Point in Eastern Greene County. These two streams known as the North and South Fork Ogeechee Rivers merge just south of I-20 to form the Ogeechee River. The river then flows 245 miles through east Central Georgia until it empties into the Atlantic Ocean north of Ossabaw Island.
The Ogeechee is one of Georgia's few remaining free flowing streams. It is the longest river in Georgia to keep its name from beginning to end.
The Ogeechee River is rich in history. Native Americans navigated the Ogeechee long before the discovery of America.
American explorer and naturalist William Bertram visited the Ogeechee basin during his exploration of the American Southeast in 1775 and 1776.
Spanish Conquistador Hernando de Soto explored the Ogeechee headwaters region in the spring of 1540 on his march between the Oconee and Savannah rivers.
Website designed and maintained by John Kitchens Website Design.
Send mail to webmaster with questions
or comments about this web site.
Information is subject to change without notice.